I was downloading a large file from torrent and it stopped at 63%. I was using deluge as my torrent client. Since there were enough seeds and enough connections were being made for the torrent to get going but it did not, I thought it was a deluge specific issue, so I got rid of it and installed Vuze (also called azureus) and moved the torrent to it. The way you do that is just start the same torrent in vuze, stop it and copy the files you had downloaded via older torrent client replacing the files being downloaded via vuze, then right click the torrent in vuze and then click “Force Recheck”. But to my surprise, the torrent still got stuck just like in deluge.
Then I right clicked on the torrent and selected Show Details. In the Sources tab, I saw a lot of trackers were unreachable or timeout was occurring while attempting to connect to them. So, since there were many trackers that were online, I decided to remove those faulty trackers. To do so, I went back to the torrent listing, right clicked on the torrent and then navigated to Advanced>Tracker/Torrent>Edit Tracker URL(s) and then removed all those except those that were online.
After that, the torrent started downloading again. Hope this helps others who are experiencing similar problems.
I installed Vuze bit-torrent client and it seems really awesome. It has been written in Java but it is pretty fast and awesome. It has search and many helpful plugins. It has various types of options and configurations and it will sure take me some time to figure out. I installed it from Synaptic Package Manager and got the version 126.96.36.199 (Ubuntu Software Center will do the same). I went to the website and saw that 188.8.131.52 was available already. I downloaded the linux installer (Vuze_Installer.tar.bz2) and unpacked it. I got a directory named “vuze” which contained the files. Then, I just launched terminal and changed the directory to “vuze”, the one that I just extracted.
Then, I just had to copy the files to where they belong. Remember, you must have the version from the package manager installed. Then, I just backed up the original vuze files and then copied the new files over.
sudo mv /usr/share/java/Azureus2.jar /usr/share/java/Azureus2.jar.bak
sudo cp Azureus2.jar /usr/share/java/Azureus2.jar
sudo mv /usr/share/java/swt.jar /usr/share/java/swt.jar.bak
sudo cp swt.jar /usr/share/java/swt.new.jar
sudo ln -s /usr/share/java/swt.new.jar /usr/share/java/swt.jar
Now, restart vuze to check if everything works well. If it does, great, congratulations. Check the version and check if it was successfully updated.
However, if it does not run well or does not run at all, you can always get back the original installation. One way to do that is “Mark for Reinstallation” from Synaptic Package Manager (or remove and install again from Ubuntu Software Center), the other way is to undo whatever you have done via the command, which is pretty easy to figure out.
Hope this helps.